Act I Journal Response Questions
Directions: Over the next week, answer ONE (1) of the following questions. Each response needs to be a paragraph in length. Remember that a paragraph includes an introductory sentence, and a concluding sentence. There needs to be 5 or more sentences in between with supporting details and evidence. Spelling and punctuation count.
- Discuss the sources of tension in the first scene. Why are these characters upset?
2. How does Romeo describe the woman he loves in Scene 1? Refer to things like word choice, connotation, tone, figures of speech, and so on.
3. Describe the Nurse and her relationship with Juliet.
4. Who are Romeo’s friends and what is their plan? Discuss the debate they have with Romeo, as well as their motivations for this plan.
5. Describe Romeo’s reaction when he first sees Juliet.
6. Discuss the parallelism between Romeo’s “story” and Paris’ “story” so far in Act 1?
7. Refer to Mercutio’s lines in Act 1. What kind of friend is he to Romeo? Would you like to have him for a friend? If so, why? If not, why not?
8. Discuss the Prologue and what you already know about the play. If you were Romeo and Juliet, would you follow love or stay loyal to your family and friends? Explain your reasons.